Click to Call
D & E Insurance Agency

1903 N Main St,
Muskogee, OK 74401

Get Directions

D & E Insurance Agency Blog

I Am Buying a New Home: Do I Buy Home Insurance Prior to Closing or After Closing?

Here at D & E Insurance Agency, serving the greater Muskogee, OK area, one of the insurance products we offer is home insurance. When it comes to home insurance, we are asked a variety of questions, but one of the questions that people often ask us is whether they purchase home insurance prior to closing on a new home they are purchasing or immediately after closing on their new home. 

Do I Buy Home Insurance Prior to Closing or After Closing?

If you are purchasing a home, you must have home insurance on the home prior to closing. You will not be able to close on the home without proof of insurance. This includes either a certificate of insurance that is issued by the insurer you are buying home insurance from or a copy of the insurance declaration’s page.

It is also important to note that your mortgage lender typically needs a copy of this statement a few days to a week prior to closing. This ensures that they list the right insurance company in the closing documents. As such, it is recommended that you purchase home insurance about one to two weeks prior to closing on your new home. 

Reach Out To Us!

Congratulations on buying a home! Buying a home is a huge investment, and as such, you want to ensure that you protect that investment by purchasing a home insurance policy that not only covers the full replacement value of your home but the items that are stored inside of your home as well. Here at D & E Insurance Agency, serving the greater Muskogee, OK area, we can help you obtain home insurance for your new home. Call us today to get started. 

Need Renters Insurance? Check Out These 5 Helpful Tips

Do you rent a house or apartment in Muskogee, OK? Do you want to protect your possessions and finances from unexpected accidents? If so, you should strongly consider acquiring renters insurance from a provider like D & E Insurance Agency. Renters insurance can be a little complex, so we’re going to offer 5 tips to help you find the best plan for you:

Tips For Renters Insurance

Evaluate Your Coverage Needs

Start by evaluating your coverage needs. Consider the value of your personal belongings and choose coverage options that can help replace those items in case of theft, damage, or loss. Also, consider acquiring liability coverage that can protect you if someone is injured on your rental property.

Research Different Providers

Research different providers and compare their coverage options, premiums, and customer reviews. Not all providers who serve locations in Oklahoma are the same. So, do your due diligence before picking a provider or a policy. 

Choose the Right Coverage Level

Choose the right level of coverage based on your needs and budget. Many renters insurance policies offer different coverage levels, so think about the value of your personal belongings and choose a coverage level that will adequately protect you.

Understand Policy Terms and Conditions

Make sure you understand the terms and conditions of your policy, including any deductibles or exclusions. Also, ensure that you understand how to file a claim and what is required in case of a loss.

Bundle Your Insurance Policies

Consider bundling your renters insurance with other insurance policies, such as auto or life insurance. This can often result in a discount on your overall insurance premiums.

By following these tips, you can find the right renters insurance policy to protect your personal belongings and provide you with peace of mind while renting.

Are you looking for renters insurance in Muskogee, OK?

If so, be sure to reach out to us at D & E Insurance Agency today for more information!

Safety Tips For Aging Drivers

Driving changes a lot during different seasons of life. New drivers face very different challenges than adult drivers. Aging drivers also have their own special set of challenges. At D & E Insurance Agency serving the greater Muskogee, OK region, we are here to help you better understand some of these challenges so that you can stay safe drivers for years to come.

Here are some safety tips for aging drivers:

Take A Safety Course

Odds are you learned how to drive many years ago. It is a good idea to take a safety course or a defensive driving course to refresh yourself on some of the safety rules you should be following. Taking a driver’s safety course can also sometimes earn you discounts on your car insurance. 

Keep Up With Eye Appointments 

It is not an unusual thing for our eyesight to suffer as we age. Poor eyesight will greatly increase your risk of accidents when driving. To keep yourself and others safe, you will need to stay up to date on your eye appointments. You also need to make sure you use the proper eyeglasses or contacts prescription for any vision problems you may have. Although these things can sometimes feel annoying, they are crucial to your safety and the safety of other drivers. 

Pay Attention To Medications 

As we age, sometimes it is necessary to start taking medication. If you are taking medication, be sure that you do not drive after taking anything that might impair your driving in any way. You need to be alert when driving so that your reflexes will be at their best. 

Give Us A Call

If you would like to learn more or are in need of auto insurance, please contact us at D & E Insurance Agency serving Muskogee, OK and the surrounding areas. 

Does Commercial Insurance Protect Against Cyber Crime?

Commercial insurance or business insurance protects the owner from various risks. One significant risk to businesses of all sizes today is cybercrime. Most business or commercial policies cover liability related to cybercrime. Remember to make sure the policy you choose covers liability for data breaches if you have an online presence. Let the experts at D & E Insurance Agency serving Muskogee, OK assist you with acquiring a policy that fits your needs. 

Commercial Coverage

Commercial insurance is designed to protect businesses and owners from many risks. They can include client lawsuits, data breaches, theft, and natural disasters. Commercial coverage is essential for all types of businesses. However, you can customize your coverage and add coverage that meets your needs and offer more protection from the unexpected.

Businesses of all sizes and types need commercial insurance. If you need help determining which type of insurance works best for your situation, we can help. Our agents are highly insightful and trained to assist customers with selecting the proper coverage. 

Residents needing commercial insurance can sit down with one of our top insurance experts, who can provide solutions based on their current and future needs. We strive to ensure each individual gets exceptional customer service they need to protect the things that are most important to them. 

Reach Out Today

If you want to learn more about commercial insurance protection that’s right for your needs, reach out to us today. Call or stop by D & E Insurance Agency in Muskogee, OK and let us get started helping you get the proper protection. We want to ensure customers have insurance products that offer them security and peace of mind. 

When should you update your homeowner’s insurance?

At D & E Insurance Agency, we want the home insurance you purchase from us to provide the ideal protection for your Muskogee, OK home. That’s why we recommend at least an annual home insurance review.

Home Improvements Signal a Need for Insurance Updates

A lot can change about your home during the course of one year. You might not even think about the things that you update or change. In the past year, did you replace any of the following:

  • Roof,
  • Windows and/or doors,
  • Flooring,
  • Kitchen appliances,
  • Utility room appliances?

If you answered yes, you made a change that increased the value of your home! Good job!

Of course, since you increased the value of your home, you need to increase the amount of coverage for your home. We can help with that.

Other changes in your home also signal a need for added coverage. If you convert your garage into a bedroom or office, or you build an addition, you need to add coverage to your home insurance.

When Your Home Value Increases, so Should Your Insurance Coverage

When you initially purchase your home insurance, your agent asks for the value of your home. Since you probably purchased it as a part of your home purchase, you know it, and your policy accurately covers your home. As time passes, the home you buy for $150,000 undergoes changes that improve it.

The new roof adds about $10,000 to your home’s value. The kitchen and utility updates typically add between $5,000 to $7,000 in value. Depending on how many windows you replaced, that adds thousands of dollars to your home’s value, too. It all adds up, and if you underwent a home appraisal, you’d probably find that your home after updates holds a value of $175,000 or more.

Updating your home insurance coverage ensures that your insurance would cover the cost of replacing your home as it was when something happened to damage or destroy it. Hazards such as fire or tornado can cause massive damage. Undergoing an annual policy review can help you keep your coverage up to date, so your insurance fully covers your home.

Contact Us Today

Contact D & E Insurance Agency,  serving the greater Muskogee, OK community, for a home insurance policy review. Let us help you fully cover your home.

Why Might a Landlord Make Renters Insurance a Requirement?

Renters Insurance is not a requirement under Muskogee, OK law, but many landlords will compel you to show proof of a policy in order to secure a lease. This is because landlord insurance does not extend to your possessions but only to the building you occupy. In addition, many renters choose to purchase this insurance for the benefits it confers.

Why Might a Landlord Make Renters Insurance a Requirement?

It was once rare for landlords to make renters insurance mandatory, but this has now become common practice. One reason is that it can help to alleviate potential disputes between tenants and landlords.

Just as a landlord will ask for a security deposit, your renters insurance helps ensure there is a clear demarcation between what you are both responsible for. Your D & E Insurance Agency representative can be of more assistance in explaining the specific coverage for your situation.

Renters insurance can help cut down on claims that are made to a landlord’s policy in the event that you suffer a loss due to a fire or other structural problem. In some cases, this can help landlords in situations where there is damage due to tenant negligence. 

Landlords do not have to worry about compensating tenants for damaged possessions in the event they are stolen or vandalized. In addition, they may not have to expend resources to provide a tenant with a temporary place to live in the event they are dispossessed. Finally, the landlord’s own insurance company may require that a renter purchase his or her own insurance. 

Let Us Help

D & E Insurance Agency serves the Muskogee, OK region, and we tailor our products and services to meet your needs. Stop by our office, call us, or reach out to us online, and we look forward to answering any questions you might have.  

Does auto insurance cover me if I cause an accident when I’m drunk?

No one wants to get into an accident, especially one that they cause. But D & E Insurance Agency in Muskogee, OK wants you to understand your auto insurance coverage and what it does (and doesn’t) cover. So, what happens if you cause an accident while you’re drunk?

Does your auto insurance cover you?

In short, no. If you cause an accident while you’re under the influence of alcohol, your auto insurance policy will not cover the damages. Most auto insurance policies have a clause that specifically excludes accidents caused by drunk driving. So, if you choose to drink and drive, you’re doing so at your own risk.

Of course, there are other factors to consider as well. For example, if you have comprehensive coverage, your insurer may cover damages caused by an accident even if you were drunk at the time. However, this is typically only the case if the accident was due to reasons beyond your control (like bad weather).

In addition, it is necessary to be aware that some states have "no-fault" laws regarding car accidents. These types of laws mean that each driver’s insurance company will pay for the policyholder’s damages resulting from the accident, without considering who may have caused the accident. But, Oklahoma is an at-fault, or “tort” state. So if you cause an accident then you are responsible for all medical bills and property loss. 

Contact Us Today

If you cause an accident while you’re under the influence of alcohol, your auto insurance will not cover the damage. So, if you choose to drink and drive, you’re doing so at your own risk. If you have any questions or want more details, please contact the D & E Insurance Agency in Muskogee, OK.

Required Commercial Insurance in Oklahoma

If you own a business in Oklahoma, it’s important to have all of the commercial insurance that you need to keep it well-protected. It’s helpful to know what kind of policies are available as well as which types may be mandated by the state for your business. Many businesses are required to have certain types of commercial insurance in order to provide protection to the public, but these policies also protect your business.

To get the business insurance you need, call us at D & E Insurance Agency in Muskogee, OK to get started. 

Required Commercial Insurance in Oklahoma

Workers’ Compensation Insurance

This is a type of commercial insurance that protects both you and your employees. In Oklahoma, every business that has any number of employees, even just one, is required to have workers’ compensation insurance, often referred to as workers’ comp. It is required whether your employees are part-time or full-time. This type of commercial coverage pays for the many costs that can be due after an employee has an accident with an injury while working. If there is an accident, the policy pays for their medical bills, any legal costs associated with the injury, and disability benefits to the employee if they are needed. This ensures that those costs can be covered no matter what the size of the business. 

Commercial Auto Insurance

Also required by the state is commercial auto insurance when applicable. When an Oklahoma business owns a vehicle, it must be covered by one of these policies. This ensures that after an accident, the insurance company will pay for the claim. If you have personal insurance on a work vehicle, the company is unlikely to pay any part of the claim. Having this insurance protects your business as well as people who get into an accident with one of your company’s vehicles. 

Get Commercial Insurance

When you need this type of insurance, we can help. Call us now at D & E Insurance Agency in Muskogee, OK.

Why You Need Home Insurance

When you are the owner of your own home, it’s important for you to take steps to protect it in every way that you can. One way to do this is to get home insurance to protect your home against a wide range of risks. Home insurance is an important part of the way that you protect your finances as well. When you need home insurance, we are here to help. Call us today at D & E Insurance Agency in Muskogee, OK.

Why You Need Home Insurance

Home Protection

One of the types of coverage that you get in a home policy is protection for the house. This gives you protection against a broad range of accidents, disasters, and other events that can cause damage to your house. When something does happen to it that causes its damage, your policy can pay for the repair bills that become necessary, less your deductible. When this happens, your policy can save you many thousands on these repairs to protect you financially. 

Protection for Your Belongings

Another important type of coverage in these policies is item protection. When you own a home, everything in it is also covered by your home insurance. This coverage is important with the amount of value that all of your items are worth when put together. If those items should be damaged or ruined by a covered event, your home insurance policy can pay for you to replace the ruined items and repair the damaged ones. This is another way that your home insurance saves you a large amount of money after a damaging event happens to your home and/or belongings. 

Get Your Home Coverage

If you own your own home and don’t have home insurance, don’t wait to get it. Call us right away at D & E Insurance Agency in Muskogee, OK.

Do I Need Renters Insurance If My Apartment Complex Has Insurance?

If your complex has a communal insurance policy for all of the tenants, then you may not need to get renters insurance. However, if your complex doesn’t have a communal policy, then it is vital that you get renters insurance to protect your belongings in the case that something happens. 

For more details and help, confer with D & E Insurance Agency, the agency serving the greater Muskogee, OK community. 

Renters Insurance in Apartment Complex: What You Need To Know

If your apartment complex has a full-service building insurance program, you do not need to purchase renters insurance. However, if your complex’s building insurance is not comprehensive, you will need to purchase additional comprehensive coverage. 

If you have a problem with your apartment complex’s building insurance, first identify the issue and then work with your insurance adjuster to work out a solution. Rental insurance can help protect your investment if you’re renting an entire apartment to someone else. 

Many apartment buildings have an option that provides renters insurance as a part of their regular insurance package. If you’re renting an entire building, you can choose to add renters insurance as an option. 

The reason you may need the renters insurance is because the landlord’s insurance will only cover damage caused by other tenants within the building. For example, if your washer floods and damages your apartment building’s common areas and other people’s apartments as well, then the landlord’s insurance will pay for that damage. 

If there is a storm outside of the apartment complex and lightning strikes one of your appliances causing it to burst into flames and burn down your entire apartment building (and everything inside of it), then no one would be able to help pay for these damages. That’s because they would not be covered by anyone else’s insurance. 

The only way they could be paid for would be through an umbrella policy on top of an individual renters policy but this can cost thousands of dollars per year. It isn’t usually worth it unless you have extremely valuable items such as jewelry or art in addition to expensive electronics. 

Contact Us Today

If your building has an insurance policy, but you aren’t sure whether it has the proper coverage, you can get a list of the building’s policies and contact the building owner directly. If your apartment complex has insurance, you might not need to take out the full insurance policy. 

However, if your insurance covers only a portion of the costs, ensure to include what’s not covered in your premiums. The complex’s insurance only cover the common areas, such as the pool, gym and hallways. For more inquiries, give us a call at D & E Insurance Agency in Muskogee, OK.

Partner Carriers

  • Access Insurance Company
  • American Modern
  • AmWINS
  • Equity Insurance Company
  • Gainsco
  • Harbor
  • Liberty Bankers Life
  • National Lloyds
  • The National Security Group
  • Progressive
  • Traders Insurance
  • Travelers
  • UAIC